Skip to main content

Prologue

I carry nicknames for my riding mates in my head. One of them is Dakar (insert name). The other two are  You can’t be serious? (Insert name) and Oh for fucks sake! (insert name). I’m sure by the end of our Return to the South 2021 you will understand. I really do love them.
It is human nature to strive for improvement. To react to past experience is the fundamental driver of evolution. With this spirit of advancement in mind we took stock of last years Mainland adventure and decided to improve on it. 
Given that last years trip was pretty awesome it was always going to be difficult to make it better but at least we can try!
The KTM 690 that we rode last year was the perfect all rounder for what we wanted to do but in the more technical off road sections I still felt like an even smaller bike would be more fun.
The KTM 500exc is a pure enduro bike capable of handling any off road terrain that one is prepared to tackle. It consists of a motor, wheels, brakes and suspension and a plank to sit on. It is light, powerful and lots of fun to ride. It stops on a dime and has a fantastic motor that can tick along or sing. It is very engaging to ride and should be a fantastic companion for this trip. 
Unless you are doing 500km of sealed highway. Then it sucks. A few modifications and an impressive amount of money have made it functional for the road of which a long range tank and a slightly better seat were key. Oh, and it is as far from a touring bike as you are likely to get.
It can barely carry any luggage so light is the name of the game and hopefully opportunities to do laundry along the way, otherwise things will get nasty. 
I can’t wait. 
I’d like to say that I have improved the company from the last trip but it is in fact the same sad buggers. 
Dave Lear, at his best in deep sand or deep water.  Fantastic companion. Has had a most interesting life. Probably an agent for MI6. Also on a 500exc. 
Dave Mac. Your never sure if he will be there, neither is he. Vampire. Riding a KTM 790R. 
Bernie Milne. A giant and brilliant rider. Possibly the nicest man on the planet. Can’t say no. 
If he was a woman he would have many children. Rides a stunning KTM 990. 
No we are not sponsored by KTM but we should be. 
Actually we might have spent enough to buy the company. We hope to build on last year’s route, keeping the best bits and adding some more interesting sections. We have mapped a route of mountain tracks, passes, river crossings, amazing scenery and remote country. It should be fun. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1o9nmo0fgivC6wbrlDng9QpKqrU8pneGNhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1p1ORZqKJEXWNCofIdYF7G2hqC0etS_KS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: Waikaia

Naseby and Ranfurly are separated by 12km of straight road. If one is uncertain of where to go, there is a large mountain range behind Naseby that could serve as a land mark, visible from pretty much anywhere. So you might be surprised that the 3 world adventurers, all equipped with gps, managed to take about 40 minutes to find it. I could explain but it’s too painful. Once we did find Naseby we climbed up into the Hawksdun range on the Mt Buster track. This was always going to be a highlight for me with a big climb followed by a flowing double track full of hole and erosion mounds designed to play with. Dropping down into several crossings of Guffies creek and then the upper reaches of the Otematata river I was feeling quite vindicated in spending the children’s inheritance and education fund on the 500exc adventure project.  From there we climbed to over 1500m on Johnston’s creek track and the moonscape that is the top of the Hawksduns. Huge country. It’s both beautiful and intim...

Day7: Mossburn

We arrived at Mossburn after another fantastic day. I’ll get back to that in a minute though. More importantly, we were quite relieved to find that there were laundry facilities and also that we had arrived early enough to use them. My feet have suffered but they tend not to complain. On the other hand, and I have to give them credit for being smarter than I thought, my nuts were beginning to complain. Turning your undies inside out doubles the lifespan but apparently turning them inside out again doesn’t reset things to pristine. So after 4 days.. well I really don’t need to go any further with this now do I? Picture if you will a forest of a different sort. We started off from Waikaia a little later than I originally intended. The ride up towards Old Man Range is beautiful, rising through beech forest on a winding little gravel road with the ever shrinking Waikaia river for company as we headed both upwards and northwards. Once above the tree line the track deteriorates into a rough,...

Day 11: Homeward bound

The final day of our trip lived up to my hopes. Last year we were unable to do the Rainbow road and so I was quite keen to do this 100km road from Hanmer to St Arnaud. I first heard of it 20 years ago when they used to run a mountain bike race along its length. It fully exceeded my expectations for both incredible beauty as well as fun riding that seemed to get better the further north we went. The coffee stop at Lake Tennyson  must be one of the better settings on the trip. Perfect weather to round it off.  Beyond that a bit of melancholy as we approach our return to real life, balanced for me by looking forward to catching up with Jennie and the boys.  So it is time to finish the final episode of one of the best trips of my life, which is setting the bar high as I have been fortunate to have had some good ones indeed.  Thanks to Dave Lear who helped plan the trip. Many hours of pondering what has been a big project, from being prepared to also buy a KTM 500exc and ...