So we have now completed the transport down the North Island. We left Turangi just as the sun was creeping over the Kaimanawa’s and had a sublime trip across the desert road with Ruapehu illuminated by the first light. It was cold and crisp but beautiful still morning air. By the time we reached Taihape the coffee and some warmth in the sun was most welcome.
From there the day went rapidly downhill. Truly I believe there is a plan to make people avoid Wellington. More non stop roadworks as a back drop to the cone wars. Even for someone as measured and calm as myself in traffic(as my family will testify) it was annoying but pleasingly the usually more measured Dave Lear cracked before I did and went roaring through the latest roadworks in a shower of gravel and curses. Bernie and I followed as we were more scared of Dave than the authorities. Needless to say we were a bit tired and grumpy by the time we got to the ferry. And to be honest it was a bit of a relief to get off the the bike because by then my bottom felt like it done serious time in a prison for bad people.
Surprisingly after the recent storms we had the calmest crossing I have ever experienced. Happy again. Then we get separated on leaving the ferry and mucked around the ferry terminal in the baking sun. Grumpy again. Then I had a beer. Happy again. Then we tried to connect our Sena helmet comms. Fucking wild. Then Bernie read the instructions. Happy again. It’s been a roller coaster day. I’m off to bed.
I should have taken photos on the desert road but I didn’t. I did take a photo of us all sitting around the table with our helmets like a bunch of pricks. We probably won’t have internet tomorrow. The ride proper kicks off..



Comments
Post a Comment