We arrived at Mossburn after another fantastic day. I’ll get back to that in a minute though. More importantly, we were quite relieved to find that there were laundry facilities and also that we had arrived early enough to use them. My feet have suffered but they tend not to complain. On the other hand, and I have to give them credit for being smarter than I thought, my nuts were beginning to complain. Turning your undies inside out doubles the lifespan but apparently turning them inside out again doesn’t reset things to pristine. So after 4 days.. well I really don’t need to go any further with this now do I?
Picture if you will a forest of a different sort. We started off from Waikaia a little later than I originally intended. The ride up towards Old Man Range is beautiful, rising through beech forest on a winding little gravel road with the ever shrinking Waikaia river for company as we headed both upwards and northwards. Once above the tree line the track deteriorates into a rough, rutted clay track that kicks up steeply towards the tops. The wind started to make its presence felt, forecast to rise to 120km/hr gale by midday. The Waikaia bush track is just the most fun with rocky steps and ruts to keep one entertained as we headed north into the teeth of the rising gale. We had planned a more extended route across the top but decided after about 30km to head down on Symes road towards Alexandra. The wind was strong enough to push the bike sideways and all of us had moments because of this. Still had a great time up there.
After brunch in Alex we took 








the popular Hawksdun road above Clyde across to the Nevis valley which runs South west behind the Remarkables ranges.
Now, with the wind behind us at lower altitude it was a lovely ride along its 70km length. This is scenically the better direction and whoever put in the road had motorbikes in mind with flowing corners and 25 creek crossings to keep things interesting. Climbing out the top of the Nevis you are treated to the most incredible views into Southland with the big mountains of Fjordland in the distance. I had no chance of capturing the beauty with my camera but a green tapestry valley floor bounded by spectacular tussock covered mountains was a delight. As Dave Lear said, just point your camera west and any click will do.
From there a big descent followed by a brisk 50km to Mossburn and the happy laundry.
Tomorrow the forecast suggests that the wind will include rain as well so I hope the Mavora lakes are appropriately atmospheric. Till then.
By the way, apologies for the formatting but I can’t choose where the pictures end up amongst the writing.
Stinky how is that 790 doing, have you managed to have a little spin on it
ReplyDelete